Friday, January 28, 2005

Shaka Zulu...now and then

Somiotic Domains are those interpretations that we give to a specific thing or word. I personally have to admit that I have moved from one Semiotic domain to another changing my perspective of what it means to me and to others.
So I look around my room and I spot Shaka Zulu the best movie that was ever made, that is in my opinion. I consider myself an insider as far as African history is concerned, and this movie basically shows a lot about African history. It based on true life events and the setting is so real, drawing you in as the scenes go by. I have to say that I am very impressed by the distrubution companies in America that have made it available to the general public. This movie focus on Shaka, one of the most respected military leaders in African history and the people of influence in his life. This movie has a lot of meanings carried around over the years as it has been shown to different communities.
He was a Zulu, therefore, the meaning of this movie is going to be very personal in South Africa where the Zulu still exist. Compared to them, I am not much of an insider since they know the history pretty much more that I do. It is more personally and it is more part of their heritage I would claim it to be. As the years have gone by the name Shaka has not lost it's meaning. Although, to our forefathers Shaka meant a world or hope, presently, the mention of Shaka means pride and reminiscing the past struggles in their history.
The meaning even changes as we move to broader zones. Shaka Zulu used to be one of the most watched episodes in Africa. I remember coming from school every Wednesday and posting myself infront of the television tube and waiting for Shaka to come on. What is now a movie used to be a few episodes of Tv. Then it was entertainment for me. Every respectable African child at my age knew who Shaka was. It was written in our history books and every possible book had been written about him. I did not love history and still do not enjoy seating through history classes, but this historical movie made history easier for me. It became my interpretation of mindless entertainment.
That was then but now things have changed. Although I knew history and could recite all the lines and dates of famous African I was not "inside" yet. I did not really appreciate this whole aspect of African history.

No comments: