Friday, March 04, 2005

Ashamed...Anyone?

Spring break yohooo! yeah right, even on the dinner table mass media follows me. Anyhows, I was eating dinner today when I saw the current issue of Parade. Yeah, real fun. But what captured my attention was not so much the title as the pictures that were displayed on the top. Now I could talk about semiotics in this particular cover, but that is not what I want to really go into. Basically the main article is about TV as a media text and how things have really changed. it takes a timeline to what used to be clean tv, and what is now shameless tv. Go figure, the American culture in search of self identity has led them to not being ashamed at their so much media intake. I remember that andrew said once in class that things aren't really getting worse they are just what they are. They are on their steady pace. What used to be a 58 second kiss is now a blown out love scene on TV. I honestly don't know what to think about this. I want to say that our culture is wacked out and call it hell but I don't completely agree with that. I try to understand this media industry but I fail. There are so many semiotic domains inside this semiotic domain that I fail to comprehend.
I wonder if there is any possible way we can find our self identity without having to follow the pop culture. I mean reading that sentence, it sounds ridiculous, but in search of identity we have lost our identity. How? we define ourselves by what we see the mass media selling us.

No comments: