Saturday, September 15, 2007

AIDS vs Women Abuse

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/516sPtW1XdL._SS500_.jpg

I am seating right now in my room holding a book in my hands. For the last five months, I have decided to do two desertations...just for the fun of it, (but off course I end up turning them into my graduate entrace papers). However, as am seating here at 1 in the AM, I feel like I need some sleep, but for the life of me, I cant bloody sleep! So am angry at my inability to sleep...and angry because I feel so taxed already. My inability to sleep is because I keep thinking of the book that I just read. Or parts of it atleast.
AIDS...killer disease, is what they call it in Africa. Being that I am from there, I have made this a personal journey to figure a way out of this mess. So am writing a paper about it, but now I am really mad, because I stumbled upon a disturbing occurence. Women getting abused by men, because they are "in love". ( I will tackle this topic at a later time)...I am not a cynic and I truly believe in love, but when that love is one of the roots of AIDS, then I have a big problem with that. When women are selling their bodies so that they can have a good life, then that is a problem. When a woman is getting beaten by her bf or whoever sugar daddy, then I pity the fool who dares lay a hand on me or my sisters...because this has becomes a health hazard and a big injustice to human rights, then I bloody have a big problem with it. You see, I wasnt surprised as the abuse women get, but the idea that a man can be unfaithful, and expect the woman to be faithful is just not kosher with me...but who cares right? I mean, AIDS is rampant, and it okay?
Drug companies want to develop vaccines. Condom makers want to sell condoms. Churches want to preach sexual abstinence. Politicians want to ignore the frequency of rape, casual sex, and cheating among married people. Individuals want to believe they are safe because they know the people they have sex with...this is the vicious cycle now. However, all these people, want to "help"....maybe its time that Africa stood for Africa.....
"As a woman living with HIV," says Beatrice Were of Uganda, "I am often asked whether there will ever be a cure for HIV/AIDS, and my answer is that there is already a cure. It lies in the strength of women, families and communities who support and empower each other to break the silence around AIDS and take control of their sexual lives." With a vaccine against HIV far off in the distant future (if at all), and with treatment of AIDS in the two-thirds world difficult, expensive, and limited in effect, the name of the game in HIV-AIDS is prevention.

No comments: