Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Rebranding Africa

if I am not careful, I wont have any entries for july.
Anyways, did anyone read the article by Bono, about having a new face of Africa? Hopefully you did not miss the great campaign by ONE, for the YES AFRICA CAN promo.
It has not been a secret that Obama Chose Ghana because of its apparent democracy.
Excuse me if I am not so easily taken in by the so called democracy.
Lets be fair, Ghana is safe, and moderately speaking, peaceful. Democracy has been coming to them for years. And their government (which by the ways has a similar governmental structure as the US) has already gone through 4 republics....but are they wanting us to believe that corruption is dead? hardly. I am not so optimistic about that.
However, the message was clear. Ghana was getting the special treatment and the previlege to honor Obama, because they were doing well, and working hard to do so. Think of it as a "scooby snack". You know, present for good behavior.

but I do agree with Bono:
Africa is not just Barack Obama’s homeland. It’s ours, too. The birthplace of humanity. Wherever our journeys have taken us, they all began there. The word Desmond Tutu uses is “ubuntu”: I am because we are. As he says, until we accept and appreciate this we cannot be fully whole.

Anyways, I am waiting...waiting...lets see what happens. Africa might be inspired!

No comments: